Skip to main content

Are we greater than God? Sunday Reflections

Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths".


Do we think we are greater than God? I am very sure most, if not all of us, will say NO!
AND I am very sure a lot many of us, in practice do exactly the opposite: Try to play God.
Man by nature strives to reach God's stature even to the extent of trying to create another human or humanoid. This is an extreme example, but we try and play God, every day in every way.
When we pray, don't we say, Lord I have this challenge and I need to do X to solve it. Or Lord can you please help me achieve Y so I can do this or that?
Why are we trying to tell God how to solve a problem, instead of just putting out the problem and letting Him solve it the way He deems fit? Who are we to tell God what to do? Do we trust ourselves more than we trust God?
As an exercise, just think of your prayers in the last 3 days. How many times we have "suggested" an action plan to God?
I know, as a professional I was faced with challenges which I needed to overcome to be able to keep my job. And when I prayed I would often tell God "look God, I am about to lose my job so I am taking this action, pls bless what I am doing so I can find success" ?
In short we tell God How to answer our prayer. We tell Him how to do his work. What we forget is to pray for His will to be done.

The opening verse is a direct reminder, actually an instruction, not to tell God what to do. With me it's a habit which I consciously need to stop and get rid of.

I think we all need to remember this verse always -
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts".


Comments

Popular Posts

From Despair to Hope - A Testimony by Pastor Abhishek

4th March   , 2022.                                                           From Despair to Hope                                                            Pastor Abhishek Lyall   In this video Pastor Lyall describes his journey as he went to despair and then to hope. God's work starts when we have given up our own efforts and dependence on self and friends. 

This is my desire to honour you..

This is my Desire to honour you 🙏  

A Miracle of prayer

Shalom in the name of Christ. I got married on the 6th of October 2010, starting a new  journey in the name of Christ. As any newly married couple  we were happy  and enjoying every moment of our married life with our friends, family and church. Soon,  we were in the family way; it was a very blessed time for both of us. In Sep- 2011, during a  normal medical checkup, we came to know that the baby will be born with Down syndrome. While we received this news with fear and shock,  our journey in Faith started from here. Multiple tests were taken, in Apollo Hospital, New Delhi, but every report gave the same result. With  every passing day our fear became bigger and bigger. At the end of six months  we were finally prescribed the last test from the baby's serum and we had to wait for 21 days to get the report. By this time we were physically, mentally and  financially exhausted. We were only looking to our God for a miracle in this report but after 21 days we were shattered as this fi